How Can I Get Bacterial Vaginosis?
There are many ways you can contract bacterial vaginosis. However, through science and research, it remains inconclusive of what exactly causes bacterial vaginosis.
Both these bacteria live in a perfect balance to form a healthy vaginal flora.
However, when the bad bacteria, Anaerobes overpopulates the good bacteria, Lactobacillus , then bacterial vaginosis occurs.
Even though bacterial vaginosis is the most common vaginal infection today, there are still a lot unknowns about it throughout the medical communities worldwide. There are questions like how exactly the Anaerobes (bad bacteria) plays a role in causing bacterial vaginosis.
There are also arguments about bacterial vaginosis is caused by having several sexual partners, but research results proved inconclusive until today.
However, you can greatly reduce your risk of getting bacteria vaginosis if you practice the general steps below.
- Have only one sexual partner at any single time. This includes your partner as well. (Further Reading : How Oral Sex Could Easily Cause Bacterial Vaginosis)
- Do not douche if possible. Otherwise limit it to once a week. Vaginal douching upsets the perfect vaginal flora balance which could be a breeding groud for bad bacterias and eventually lead to BV. (Further Reading : What Is A Healthy Vaginal Flora And How to Have One, How Lactobacillus Acidophilus Can Fight Bacterial Vaginosis)
- Make sure that you know what you are doing if you’re using intrauterine device (IUD) for contraception. Find out more about it’s potential risks because having a IUD inside your uterus could lead to bacterial vaginosis.
There is a very significant link between one’s sexual activities and bacterial vaginosis. But it is not proven through research yet.
This is because a high percentage of women who suffers from bacterial vaginosis are very active sexually.
Bacterial Vaginosis FAQ
- Is Bacterial Vaginosis Common Among Women?
- How Can I Get Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Are The Risks Involved if I Have Bacterial Vaginosis During Pregnancy?
- What Are The Health Complications of Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Are The Signs and Symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Treatments Are Available for Bacterial Vaginosis?
- I Have Bacterial Vaginosis. Does My Partner Needs Treatment Too?
- Do I Need to Routinely Test for Bacterial Vaginosis During My Pregnancy?
- How Can I Prevent Bacterial Vaginosis?